Sunday, November 29, 2009

Meighan's Party, Part II


Hello from Arta,

Meighan had a two part party: her friends from 1 pm to 5 pm and her relatives from 5 pm to 9 pm. Zach, Gabe and Audra got to go to both parts, being both friends and relatives.

Meighan is five now. Taller than other kids her age in her kindergarden, Anita told me.

Willowy.

Maybe like Rebecca Rose Jarvis.

I noticed that the birthday party invitation that was mailed to me had the image of Hannah Montana on it. Ron Treleaven who was watching Audra while Marcia and Art slipped out for a minute, told me that one of the hard things about getting older is not knowing all of the pop culture that kids are immersed in.

I agreed with him, as Hannah Montana is not a by-word for me, either. She is an icon who is a regular girl by day and a rock star by night. Both Ron and I have now been introduced to her at the party through the party table cloth, party napkins, plates – all matching, bejeweled necklaces – bling everywhere.

I know the Hannah Montana image and was wondering if Richard and Miranda are thinking of naming their new baby after her. They said that Hannah Montana is not even in the running for a name …yet.

On the family room wall was a large poster brought home from kindergarten, a print-out celebrating her birthday at school. Meighan had written her own answer to the questions about what was her favorite colour, her favorite food. I could make out that purple is her favorite colour, that spaghetti is her favorite food and that she is getting more than half of her alphabet letters going the right way – pretty fun for me to.

Doral told me that Meighan’s clothing ensemble for her party was her choice. To begin with, Meighan told her dad she didn't want a bath in the morning -- too afraid that she wouldn't be allowed to rewear the clothes she presently had on. He promised her that was not true, but then took her jogging pants and ditched them somewhere else after the bath, helping her get dressed in her pink party dress.

She remembered, though, and went to find the comfortable blue sweats with a white stripe going down the pant leg that he had slipped away elsewhere – no, it didn’t match and Anita said her only consolation if someone were to ask about the party outfit was to be able to say that Doral had helped Meighan get dressed.

Meighan also wore a pink tiara, a gift to her when she went on a site visit to the Banff Spring’s Hotel with her mother last week. She had been given the tiara and told she was a princess and that the Hotel was her castle, an idea that is really working for her. Know any other Alberta princess who has actually been to her own castle … and has a tiara to prove it?

The birthday cake was split – half chocolate, half white and was meant for the adults. Mini-cupcakes had been created by Anita, thinking that the little girls would love the spectacular array of diverse icing and decorations.

When I got to the birthday date, Doral told me that the earlier and younger party guests wanted the “adult cake” so now the adults had to eat the mini-cupcakes.

Miranda and I were up to the task. I began my meal with dessert.

Miranda was ending her meal with dessert, so I asked her which were the best choices on the tray. Miranda pointed to a chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing topped with colorful animal candy confetti as her #1 choice.

I began with that one, and ended six cupcakes later, topping Miranda’s max-out of 5 which she knew to be an accurate number, given all of the cupcake wrappers on her plate belonged to her.

Meighan showed me some of the karate moves she has learned in her Saturday lessons, the sequence ending with one of those small bows. How cute was that – watching her take that squat stance to begin her demo, listening to her say the moves as she made them, her arms jabbing through the air.

I am invited to another demonstration of karate moves on December 16th when her school as a competition. Perhaps that will get posted up here on the blog.

Gabe and Zach are also in an event, December 13, a Boy’s Choir Event. I asked Zach if he has any new songs, and Marcia piped up, “They have a new one. What is it called. Lonely night? Quiet night.”

Zach said, “I don’t know it yet, but it is called Silent Night.”

Nice I thought. A new song … for him.

I had a lovely evening.

Happy birthday, Meighan.


1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.