Saturday, January 16, 2010

Carmen at the Odeon Cineplex


David Pilling, Kelvin and I just returned home from our seats at the Odeon Cineplex where we viewed the Met's HD production of Carmen. This review will tell you why we loved the show: The Star. The Met also reveals what it was thinking about when they did this new production of Carmen.

Janet and Glen were going to catch the show down in Kelowna. I hope they didn't miss it -- I was reading that Carmen is the fourth highest on the list of all-time favorite operas.

Our theatre was sold out fifteen minutes before the performance was to begin. The theatre manager loves his opera crowd. He was greeting people at the door of Theatre 6, and shaking hands with the patrons as they entered. I asked David what that was all about, telling him I felt more like I was at a wedding reception.

Later the theatre manager was making sure the patrons all had a copy of their "Live in HD: 2009-2000 Season at the Cineplex Theatres". He said he wouldn't miss a performance himself and watches from the projection room. He went up and down the isles shaking hands and talking to everyone. OK, so I have never seen a theatre manager working his crowd before.

I saw Judy, Steve Carter's friend, Judy as of retired policewoman fame from this summer at the lake. She gave me a big hug in the halls in the intermission as I was getting some exercise, and a kiss on the way out of the opera when it was finished -- said she is bringing her father to Victoria and will give you a ring, Steve and Rebecca.

David Pilling is not one to strike up a conversation with a stranger in a theatre, but the man next to him started the dialogue by offering to shield David from the masses sitting next to him who were not opera afficianados. A row and a half of his friends, children, grandchildren, all at the opera together. A fifteen year old, some 10 year olds and then someone from about every other decade.

He wanted to know why David comes to the opera? Does he play the piano? What kind of classical music does he like? What other operas has he seen. Not only is David is not only a person who would not strike up such a conversation, he is also one who doesn't carry on a conversation like that easily, but the man didn't seem to notice, and chattered away until the performance began.

Why does this always happen to David?

He is so shy that on the way home we picked up some baskets at Canadian Tire, and he suggested going through the self check-out so we wouldn't have to talk to the clerk. I hate the self-check out, but David was happy to do all of the hard work at it. Operating machines is better than talking to people.

At the intermission Renee Flemming interviewed the choreographer. And set behind the two of them were the 2 dancers who were about to do the pas de deux that was written especially fo Act III. I had no idea what a pas de deux was/is. I had to go to Wickipedia when I got home. "In ballet, a pas de deux [French, step/dance for two] is a duet in which ballet steps are performed together. It usually consists of an entrée, adagio, two variations [one for each dancer], and a coda."

I don't think I saw a classical perfect pas de deux, for I didn't see the 2 variations,one for each dancer, but what is a choreographer to do when the overture is so short.

A joy to see the dancers warm up as Fleming was talking to the dance master. I guess what I liked better is that the two of them were teaching the millions of viewers to enjoy what they were about to see on screen.

So -- my top picks of great moments in the opera:

1. Don Jose putting the silver ring back on Carmen's hand – first stabbing her to death, and then holding that dead body and trying to reconnect with her by putting his ring back on her finger. Tragic. So sad. So archetypal. I guess that is what the opera is about. To show us who we are and what we can do to each other when passion reigns over reason.

2. Carmen's dancing in the tavern, her exquisite face and acting -- all of that and then she can sing, too. If it is true as she says, that love is a gypsy, one would want to join the band after listening to her.

3. Exquisite melodies and harmonies in the duets and quartets.

Opera -- in a theatre near me. What a treat.

The next showing, the encore, is March 13, 2010. I highly recommend it. David would recommend not sitting by someone who wants to chat.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. I should be back in town Feb 24. Anyone want to go with me and buy me a ticket before it sells out? I shall repay the payee in kind (ie. candy, snacks, and or $$$$)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.