Sunday, March 14, 2010

SHIRLEY

My condolences to the Treleaven family and to all the rest of our family unit.

We lost one of our own this week and I wanted to express my own feelings as I mourn her loss. I awoke Friday morning at 4 am with a tear. Glen and I awake during the night regularly but the reason that morning was to think fondly of Shirley.

I didn't get to spend too much time with Shirley and that was just because of circumstance and residence distance. However, not for the the lack of trying on her part - She always made an effort and we enjoyed eachothers company. Her voice was distinct and I knew instantly who it was when I heard my name initiating each visit.

One of those kindred spirits where we couldn't get enough talking time - we shared books we read and remedy creams for our cracked heels. Made work seem light while working together in the kitchen to make the time go by. She and Ron have been very helpful to Glen, myself, and our children.

Wife - yes Mother - yes, Grandmother - yes, but my relationship with Shirley, I would have to say - SISTER . She knew what it meant to be a Sister - in the true sense of the word - in the world as well as out.

Love to all

Janet

2 comments:

  1. Truly a beautiful tribute Janet. I love the Pilling family when we adopt the parts of other extended family's. Shirley and Ron have both been a wonderful perk to adding Art and Anita to the Pilling clan. As well, she kindly invited Trent and I over to several Treleaven family functions after Marcia and Art married, as we had less Bates family in town and often needed a place and family with whom to celebrate the holidays. Such kindness and generosity in adopting us back into her family. She will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arta here:

    Janet and Tonia? I, too, have that lump in my throat and have shed tears. A loss to one family is a loss to us all. I knew Shirley first in Grande Prairie. She lived there at the same time that Kelvin and I lived there. She came back into my life in spades when she and I began to share in-laws and then grandchildren.

    I loved her visits to the lake. I have told this story many times. Here it is again. One summer when Shirley and Ron left to go home to Calgary, I was walking down the road to my house with Ceilidh's hand in mine. She saw that they were gone and she said, "Look, my grandmother has taken her house and gone." I just loved the magic of a little girl believing a grandmother could do that.

    Shirley had magic in many ways. When Doral got married he said that one of the things he loved about Anita is that she had Shirley's eyes.

    Shirley also had magic in her hands -- fingers that could dip chocolates -- hundreds of pounds of them.

    And as others have said, Shirley had a heart that was so big that there was always room for another person there.

    I have been shedding many tears this week as well.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.