Friday, May 7, 2010

London Escalators

I am a little tired tonight.

Wyona got hurt on an escalator today.

That is why I am tired. Seeing her hurt takes a lot out of me.

She got her foot caught under a rail between the wall of the escalator and the moving step and she couldn’t rip it out for her other foot was butted up against the first step. She wrench her back as she was trying to free herself. I think what happened must have been over in 2 seconds.

And of course her foot is swelling now that she is home.

She already had red eyes by the time she signaled to me that she was in trouble. I got off ahead of her. She hobbled to the wall to figure out if we should carry on with the day’s trip. My vote was for going home and icing all of her body parts.

She succumbed to my idea after trying to hobble forward and having to hang onto the wall. We finally took a taxi to get home. The taxi’s line up and you have to go to the front of the line-up. She couldn’t limp to get as far as the front of the line.

We would try to wave a taxi down and each driver would signal to us to go to the front of the line. One driver finally stopped long enough to see her red eyes and let us get in. She has been in bed with robaxiset and cold peas on her toes ever since. The line she gave me that I liked best was this one. She has been hobbling on her right foot all day and we had been talking about how important it is to slow down and walk smoothly to keep all of her body parts in alignment – and her first sentence was, now I have to walk smoothly on my right foot for my left one is worse than my right one now.

All of that through the tears.

Sheesh, where does that sense of humour come from.

I have checked out her toe -- mildly black and blue on top and the bottom of the toe gets 10/10 for colour and bruising. Even with all of the icing by that bag of peas in the freezer.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.