Sunday, November 28, 2010

Greg talking about his Holiday.

Greg talking here:


As any of you have been to Edinburgh know, the city is built on hills and bluffs which together with its many historic buildings, make it unique amongst European cities and well worth a visit. This is from someone who never visited, despite living for four years only a few hundred miles away.
We are visiting Scotland during the worst early winter in 17 years. Taking advantage of the weather, Wyona started
a snowball fight. Actually, she just threw one snowball which the camera caught in mid-flight.

The capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is home to the Scottish parliament, Holyrood. The gates of the Palace of Holyroodhouse welcome the visitor to history in the making. Devolution as it was called by the Labour government which granted Scotland self-government, perhaps was

not fully aware of the implications.


The view under the North Bridge of the skyline of Calton Hill is typical of Edinburgh. Calton Hill includes the National and Nelson's Monument, St. Andrew's House and the Old Observatory.


Edinburgh Castle is the dominate site of the city, visible clearly from everywhere, that is, except when the fog roles in. Then it takes on a haunting quality, as it does in this photo. The monument in the foreground is to the Royal Scot Greys.


The last photo is of the "patron saint" of all business people, Adam Smith. His seminal work, the Wealth of Nations, was published in 1776 was the foundation of modern economics. Some have speculated that it had a major influence on the development of the United States for which 1776 is also an important date.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and that fog is stunning. A snowball in mid flight? Great shot. Edinburgh is beautiful and old. We shall go back sometime in August together while there are 4 major festivals going on at the same time: Fringe, Arts & Cultural, Book Lovers, and another one I can't remember. What did you think of the modern parliament building at the end of the Royal Walk? I did not get to go complete a tour or the Parliament Buildings as the tours were full. I loved walking down the cobblestone streets and seeing the festival people stroll by. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember learning about Adam Smith too. Americans I am sure are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am do jealous!! A trip to Edinburgh. When I lived in Scotland I was 10. I didn't care about anything other the toys in front of me or the games I could play. Bonnie took me to Airdrie, Edinburgh, Portobello, another "A" named city that escapes me. I layed in the back of the station wagon looking at it's ceiling wondering how much longer.

    Now I am looking at the pictures of Scotland and wishing I had paid more attention. I wonder if I'll ever go back with my family.

    I was supposed to be incredibly wealthy by this time in my life. I was supposed to be able to travel and frolick without regard to how much money I spent. Where oh where did I go wrong?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.