Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Don Carlo


Don Carlo
Just when I decide I really don't have time to go see the opera, I read on CBC Arts Online - Arts Digest (which comes to my email account every day) that the brilliant conductor of this version of the opera is the 35-year old Canadian, Yannick Nezit-Seguin. 

So I am tempted to go as far as the New York Times Review of the opera.  Afterall, what can a peak at the review, hurt.

That was one click too many.  How could I have thought to miss it.  Another of the operas where there is bang for your buck:  4 1/2 hours long, a story of Spanish and French politcal intrigue and the problem of family dynamics gone wrong.

StanRogersFan writes the following comment at the bottom of the CBC Arts Digest:
Verdi! Nezet-Seguin at the helm! Alagna (the smoldering Romeo and Faust of seasons past)! A dazzling new set! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE!  And for those who haven't yet tried the Met live broadcasts in their local movie theatre -- they are well worth the money. Close-ups of the singers and orchestra, easily legible subtitles, backstage insider interviews, and "come as you are". Try it and you'll see. It's fabulous!
Arta

PS  If you live in Salmon Arm, there is just one more step that is fun.  Some people in the audience came dressed up as though they were in New York at the opera.  Now that was fun, even if I was a "come as you are" person.

1 comment:

  1. Greg and I went to LaBoheme in London. It was amazing. Then I went to The Dog's Heart. It is Russian and was also amazing. I had a great seat. There was nothing melodic or recognizable in the The Dog's Heart. It was about the proletariate in Russian, the working class being controlled by the govt. It was banned when it was first written. It was a bizarre opera and beautifully done. I will be ready for the next Opera in Vernon. I went to Don Giovanni, Mozart, the day after the Dog's Heart. It was quite boring in comparison but still one of Mozart's best.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.