Wednesday, December 1, 2010

From Edinburgh to London in severe weather conditions.






Greg and I were just two of the travellers trying to get from Edinburgh to Scotland. We had reservations on the train for 8 a.m. but holiday spirit took over and we remained in bed and then went for a full Scotish breakfast. We were on the platform for the 11:30 a.m. train to London which never arrived until 12:39 p.m. The line to get on the train was 5 people deep. The lady next to me told me it was going to be a scrum, so I should go without any luggage and let Greg take care of it. So I did just that. I slithered in front of people with luggage and got myself on the train to find 2 seats together on the wrong side of the train going backwards. They were welcome seats. No sign of Greg. The isles in first class were full of people and their luggage. Half a dozen people asked me for Greg's seat. Greg did take his Britrail pass from me in case he never got on the train. As the train was about to go, I saw Greg peering in the windows, waved to him and he jumped on board passing by all the standing passengers.


By time the train got to London it was over two hours late. Passengers were standing in the isle all the way.

Outside the window we could see the white capped waves rolling in the sea and across the beaches. Dark clouded skies appeared in all places. The airports in Dundee and Aberdeen had been closed so those passengers were trying the trains.

We passed by Carnoustie, a little town where the Golf Masters in held. Noone was on the golf course but the snow maidens.


It was a lovely, odd trip back.

Greg has gone to Oxford today. I have tickets for the "Country Girl", Chai Chin seats for the Apollo tonight. London is below zero, colder than I think it ever was when we lived here. On the wall in the hall at the top of the stairs in our hotel there is a plaque which reads:

"You find no man at all an intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life, for there is in London all that life can afford." Samuel Jackson, 1709-1784


























1 comment:

  1. A big wow to the cold and the snow. I hope you have a fire to keep you warm. And now I am going out to read the review for "London Country Girl" because I want to know what I am missing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.