Sunday, December 5, 2010

Singing Little Purple Pansies

Aunt Dorothy's Garden
I am standing in my Aunt Dorothy's award winning garden. The tulips are in bloom behind me. There is a pond in front of me, in which large gold fish shimmer beneath the water. I have outgrown the coat I am trying to do up.

My father asks me to sing "Little Purple Pansies" and I agree. Though I do not have the same voice as my maternal grandmother, I am doing my best with the lyrics, "Little purple pansies dressed in yellow gold / growing in the corner of my garden, old / We are very tiny but must try, try, try / Just one spot to gladden / You and I.

The lyrics of the songs of the 1940's have not withstood the test of time.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo. Hope you are sending me a copy of it.

    Although you write, that the lyrics of this song have not withstood the test of time, I might beg to differ. I believe all of your children know this song (or better versions of it including Bonnie's version -- Little Purple Panties touched with yellow gold. Wish I knew where to find a pair of those.) In fact my own children know both of these versions, although they haven't sung them in Primary of recent days (particularly the version about the panties). :)

    Some songs never die.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.