Monday, January 24, 2011

Educational Ideas

I love using finger puppets with children at work. I love the knitted ones, but felt will do. Sometimes we make them out of paper so the children can take them home.

Arta and I were discussing how I could move along David's education of the arts since he is not quite ready to spend long hours in a museum or in the movie theatre to watch the opera.

One idea we considered was using finger puppets. We saw some options at museum gift shops but didn't make any purchases. I see on line that you can purchase a finger puppet of Salvador Dali. They also have one for sale of Diego Velazquez in the same outfit he is wearing in his painting called Las Meninas. They didn't have an image, but I was still tempted.

If I bought Valazquez, then I would have to also pick up the one of Pablo Picasso so Velazquez could let Picasso know how he felt about his copies. I know I had a fun time looking at them, so I could probably have the puppets laughing and talking about it.
On that particular website, they recommend these puppets for "production practice" of foreign languages. I will suggest it to Joaquim as he broadens his circulation of brochures for foreign language tutoring. At first blush, it doesn't seem his style, but I think it would be fun and take the stress off the speaker.

After reading Arta's post and Mary's reply about MacDonald and Cartier, I am now looking for puppets of them. With Greg currently at the Lake, perhaps I could get some support from him wtih getting our dialogue going between these Fathers of Confederation. I am feeling a little guilty about saying I still feel more American than Canadian at the bridge game last night. I am sure both puppets would have had a few words for me, if I had had them at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.