Thursday, January 6, 2011

El Reis - A Porron


Porron
I was up at 3.30 am, excited to see what the Three Wisemen had brought. Like others who slept here last night, I had to wait in bed until everyone was awake, which didn´t happen until 7:30 am.

This is a holiday North American´s might want to give some attention to. Bonnie and I both got new scarves from the wisemen, and Joaquim open his present, a small bottle with a spout.  When I saw him open his present, I thought the wiseman should have given me two presents, his and mine.

Presents are not exchanged between adults on El Reis. Just believe that there will be a gift from the wiseman for you, and that is about it for getting presents. As well, go from one relatives home to another, for the wisemen leave gifts for you at the homes of all of your loved ones.

I was doing the touch test on the present the wiseman left me, because I have been wanting a small cruse to put olive oil in. I had a scarf, from the softeness of the feel of what was inside of my preent. However Joaquim explained to me that what he got was not what I wanted anyway, but something very different. His gift was a PorrĂ³n, a traditional glass wine pitcher. typical of Catalonia.

The porron resembles a cross between a wine bottle and a watering can. The top of the bottle is narrow and can be sealed off with a cork. Stemming upwards from the bottom of the pitcher is a spout that gradually tapers off to a small opening. It is shaped such that the wine stored inside it will have minimal contact with the air, while being ready to be used at all times.

Joaquim says its beauty is being able to drink water out of it, and being able to have a number of his friends drink out of it, never having the top of the spout touch anyone´s lips.

And, he further explained, to be really cool one has to hold the porron a long way away from the mouth and have the stream of water that comes out of it, hit your mouth … with no drips on your chin and no stains on your shirt.

I have practised with Joaquim´s gift a few times today. I am good. I hope getting my new glasses will not change how well I can make a direct hit using the perron from a long way away from my mouth.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.