Thursday, January 6, 2011

El Reis - A Dinner to Remember

Dolmas
We have been steeped in a wonderful Catalan food culture for 3 weeks

Today there was a switch to Syrian food: dolmas, falafels, baba ganoush, hommous, tahini paste, speciality olives, deep fried corn, long loves of breads that were still hot from the bakery, kebabs, pilaf, casa, poive, thick coffee for whose who still have room for it.

I ate forgetting that it is important to pace oneself when there are three courses to come in the meal.

And even after dessert, chocolates were passed liberally, beautifully wrapped, the ends fringed like firecrackers.  I am going to miss those treats when I get home.
Tortell El Reis

The Catalan grandmother asked me if we have anything like the tortell in Canada. I had to say that a dessert like that does not come out of the American Puritan background. I know there are German immigrant families and other eastern European families who carry on a rich tradition of breads like the Tortell, a ring that may even contain one of the King´s Hats in its circular middle. Joaquim´s sister had done the tortell, even making her own almond paste which hides in the centre of each piece she sliced for us.

David Camps won the hidden money prize, contained in one piece, a tradition we all celebrated with a round of cheers for him. I do remember a tradition of hidden prizes in birthday cakes from my own childhood.

I walked home when the party was over, from one city to another, though going across the boundary between the two was no more than crossing from one street to another. Joaquim said in his childhood the connection was a dirt path, but now the two city boundaries are side by side. The walk home was with one of the children, poor Joaquim translating between me and her as we talked about our favorite events of the day: the new pink bike, the trip to the vineyard, the presents at the homes of her aunts and uncles, the meal, and what it was she wanted to do when she finally got home tonight – which was slip over to her friends to show her her favorite present of the day.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about prizes in desserts... we used to receive birthday cakes with money. I always loved that! I need to remember that for my next kid's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks delicious. I remember going to Spain in 1970 and having to wait until after 9 p.m. to eat dinner. And I remember looking for a store open after 1 p.m. and everything was closed for siesta time. Very different from us. So much of the cuisine seemed to be cooked in oil. It would just slip down. Greg and I were on our own budget so we were not able to eat like you did Arta. What a great holiday you had!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.