Sunday, January 2, 2011

Joan Miro


Miro from Fundacio Joan Miro
Bonnie and I both know how unlikely it is that we would have a day together in the Joan Miro Gallery in Barcelona. But that day came. Joaquim made the suggetion as to how to get there. Take the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus and get into that Gallery on one of your stops¨, he suggested. So on our second trip  around we found waited in a line-up to buy a multiple ticket – not for one museum, but entrance to seven museums.

Joaquim is playing the part of Wyona – researching long into the night so that Bonnie and I can take the most direct routes to the biggest variety of places. The price is 22 euros for 7 museums, and a ticket that can be used for the next six months.

I have no training to let me know about Joan Miro, but armed with audio guides, Bonnie and I punched in numbers and we looked at his paintings, and and we watched the 15 minute video that unlocks some of the secrets of how to view his work.

Miro´s Man and Woman

The general themes are woman, stars (add to that the moon and the sun) and birds. Underneath the surface of the painting are complicated visual choices which I found hard to decode. ¨The semiotics of it, that is what is getting me down,¨ I said to Bonnie. What I struggled with in the imagery, she could find. She was my intellecutual painting crutch until I could get the images on my own

When we got back home I saw Bonnie drawing with David, using some of the Miro symbolism. Between Miro and Picasso, drawing eyes on a figure takes on new meaning. Bonnie and I practised a few of them in the gallery and then decided to use some crayons or ink that will give us a few broad strokes and see what we can do ourselves on paper.

I have to paraphrase my favorite quote from the gallery. Great artists shape the world´s visual perception.

 Arta

1 comment:

  1. Arta had said it would be fun to let children draw and have the freedom to have 5 eyes on one face as we had seen in one of Miro´s paintings. That is what gave me the idea to try this out with David. We practice all the kinds of eyes we could imagine.

    David was bored on one of our Cathedral visits and that is when I realized I had forgotten to slip a toy, a sticker, or a treat into a pocket of my jacket -- a backup piece of entertainment that one of my dear friend Jenn considers essential for daily life with a little child. In fact, she makes sure her pants have small pockets just for that need.

    In lieu of that, I quickly searched the gift shop for an inexpensive thing to engage David´s mind. I found a small coil notebook and a matching pen. He carried them with him, but his real love for the item took off when we were on the second big event that day -- the tour of the newspaper building EL PUNT where two of his Uncles work. The building was amazing to tour -- a renovated Flour Mill ajoined to a mansion. At each room, David would fine a table and sit down.

    He began doing portritures of all of his relatives from his vacation. Some sported glasses, others large ears, and Arta had her hair swept into a bun on the top of her head. It is in this book that he began making his own copies of Miro paintings. The visual word is his world. Although he can talk a blue streak, show him a picture and he can comprehend and store deeply in the blink of an eye even in his peripheral vision. It´s fun to watch that skill.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.