Friday, February 4, 2011

The Robber Bridesgroom by the Grimms Brothers


"I'm not afraid"
 We are working our way through the 210 short German fairy tales told by the Grimm Brothers.  Any chance I get, I whip out the book and ask someone if they want to listen.

Yesterday Naomi said yes to six stories.  Mary said that none could be as gruesome as some that are in the Book of Mormon (ie cutting off the arms of your enemies). 

But the Grimm Brothers had it over Joseph Smith in many of the stories she and I were looking at.

"Are you sure you won't have bad dreams over this one," I asked after reading "The Robber Bridegroom".

"No Grandma, I am good with that," she replied.

 I was somewhat nervous when in, the story, the robber chops off the finger of a woman who has been drugged and killed and the finger flies through the air and lands in the bosom of our heroine who is hiding behind a great hogshead.

"Wish I would have pre-read this one," I thought. "But too late now. Must try to make the best of it and find some kind of moral to the story."

What did Naomi want to know wheren the story was finished?

What is a hogshead?

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I want a copy of that book. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your local public library will have many copies of this book. Our copy has few pictures, so we get to imagine more than we might ordinarily do.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.