Monday, April 11, 2011

Quilting as a Hobby

Tools of the trade - scissors, pliers, needles and thread

Hello,

I tried everything I knew to disuade Miranda from learning how to quilt.

I told her that it is the old-fashioned way, no one does it like that anymore, it is cheaper to buy a quilt than to make one home-made, that she should just wait for hand-me downs from other babies and do something else with her time, that I am no good at patchwork and couldn't help her, that it would take time and trouble to borrow the stands, buy the frames, and that she would have to buy new needles, a set of pliers, quilter's thread, and use a staple gun to attach the quilt to the frames.

... a few more stitches and we will be done
None of this was enough to prevent her from going ahead and putting on her baby quilt.

When we were quilting this morning, I was thinking of how beautiful the quilts are that Moiya and Wyona have been doing by machine, and I said to her, "I think you are going to be the only one who is making a quilt the old-fashioned way."

She just smiled.

I am leaving for 10 days, and Miranda is going to finish it on her own.  When I try to take picture of other women, they duck out on me.  I understand since there is a part of all of us that likes a finished photo presentation.  She was willing for a candid tonight.  This photo is not posed.  She is really quilting.

Look!  Even a thimble on her finger, and blood on the tip of her thumb if one could see it.

Stitch and pull.  Stitch and pull. 

Snip.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.