Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Baby Boy

Richard and I had our 18-20 week ultrasound yesterday, and we found out that the lovely little creature in my stomach is a boy! And a very healthy looking boy at that. No markers for any problems, and all his parts in the right places.




Richard says that this picture proves that he'll be a back flip champion. I'm still amazed at his flexibility!

His overall length is about 26 cm (almost the length of a ruler) right now, but he spends most of his time curled up like this playing with his toes.

We had thought this was 19 weeks and 4 days, but according to his measurements it was 19 weeks and 6 days, making today officially the halfway point. His arms and legs actually measured closer to 21 weeks, but I'm sure that's just because he's going to be tall like his dad.

During one of his breaks from kicking my very full bladder (I guess it was taking up his personal space) we got a sweet picture of his tiny foot. It's about 3cm long right now (just over an inch).

I hadn't realized how enamored I would be with this little guy, but I could just look at these pictures of him for hours and never get bored. I thought I understood how much I would just adore this little creature, but it turns out that reality is something altogether different.

This is my favorite picture. It shows his nose, lips and chin. If you tilt your head to the left its a little easier to make it out. I just love the glimpse into what our little boy looks like.

I think for both Richard and I, the best part of the ultrasound was the huge yawn the baby let out at the very end. It was like he was working very hard to make sure we got all the good angles and was ready for a nap. It was the sweetest thing.

3 comments:

  1. I like looking at what new babies look like as well. Alex Carter-Johnson, who doesn't like having his picture taken, ended up being the frontispiece of his mother and dad's Xmas card before he was born. Now Hunter Johnson gets to be blogged before he is born. I call him Hunter, though I know that is not is name. I am just trying to find something to differentiate him from Spearman (Ezra) Bates who was just born.

    For a few years now, Richard and I have tried to imagine a little girl playing in our combined backyard in Calgary and I have been thinking of how cute a little pink playhouse would be there. Now it looks like there will be a jungle gym, swings, a zip line and ropes to climb on.

    Congratulations. Many readers will also know the thrill of waiting for a first-born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you two. David can't wait to have another cousin. He thinks the pictures are "so cool". He adds, "I hope he likes mega blocks so maybe one day when he is a grown-up child he might like lego. Just like me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post 8 years ago. Michael is just amazing at 417 weeks and 3 days of age. I wonder how many inches long his feet are now.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.