Monday, June 20, 2011

My Happy Father's Day

Wishing I had seen this t-shirt on etsy.com before father's day. It seems so appropriate this year given David's current enthusiasm for Star Wars. To my surprise, there was more talk of "Sonic" than "Star Wars" this Sunday. David has come into possession of copies of old Sega games, and Sonic the hedgehog may indeed replace Luke as his current hero.



On the phone yesterday, Rhiannon told me that for dinner she said "cake". Then she added "It is my happy father's day." ha ha ha. Love it. Why shouldn't it be as much her holiday as it is her father's?

For "my happy father's day" I watched David give a large painted rock to his father and then shout "you rock!" I also got to see Joaquim drink out of a newly decorated mug created by David at his Science Club. The mug had two drawings on it from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" -- one of an elderly soldier on a hill and the other of a submarine with two cannons on it.

This was the Spring for watching musicals for our family. Arta started us off with tunes from Oliver. We have added to that list
-The Sounds of Music
-Annie
-Chitty Citty Bang Bang
-Mary Poppins

We are looking for more suggestions (particularly those we can borrow for free from our public library.)

The new building for the Sicamous branch of the Oakanagan Library will be open on July 2nd for any of you who want to make an early trip to the lake for this inaugral event. You can join the summer reading club in either Sicamous or Salmon Arm. The prize last year in Sicamous was a book and a puppet.

I was glad to be able to reach my own Father on "my happy father's day". To my surprise, he had been in the hospital since June 9th. He is expected to be released by June 24th. He got to the hospital in an ambulance. He had been vomiting and was getting dehydrated. Apparently he had a kind of a "stroke" in his GI system, preventing him from eating/digesting food. Sounds pretty miserable. I am glad he thought to call 9-1-1. Apparently that is something you could die from. He sounded in very good spirits when I called him this morning (403-944-1332). He said he has had a wonderful two weeks getting to know his fellow patients in the hospital.


During our father's day dinner, we each told a story about our fathers since in our family we each have a different one. Joaquim told of how his father always had a cube of sugar for him when he finished a cross-country running even, to give him energy for recovery. I told of how my father always tucked a large bill into my hand when I was heading off to a basketball camp. David said, "I don't know what to tell you about my father. He is sitting right here." Joaquim and I laughed.

And how was your "happy father's day", oh fellow Larch Haven blogians?

~Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.