Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Rock Church

Outside Face of Rock Church
I love rocks.  

I bend down to pick up an unusual one and put it in my pocket  I can sing Al Simmons’ “I collect rocks”.   

When I walk along paths in B.C. and see a rock that would be good for a rock wall, I can finally tell if that one is just the right size or a little too heavy for me to lift.  If it is too heavy I figure out if I can go back to my house and  get my dolly involved in moving that rock. 

Organ Pipes
So how nice was the surprise in Helskinki when I found out I was going to visit a rock church.

The organ pipes are in front of rocks.

The walls of the church are rocks.

The baptistery is rocks.

Roof
From the outside, there is no towering structure for a steeple, no flying buttresses, no ornate marble figures in the outer wall niches of the church.

This church counts on mesmerizing its congregants with the shape colour and texture of rocks in its interior.


People were preparing for a wedding when I was there, so I only viewed the church from the balcony.

Wyona's tour group got there before ours, and they walked up and down the isles and listened to a young woman practising for a paino concert. 

Pews and Baptistry
 Helsinki Lutheran religious practice rocks.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. Are there images of Peter in the church ...

    I took far too many pictures today of the rock wall that Ron built at the Lake. It looked so beautiful with the mountain meadow beside it on the right and the sword ferns that have sprung up to the left.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.