Saturday, October 22, 2011

Palermo, Sicily

Oct 20, 2011

We lazily enjoyed the lunch buffet before leaving the ship.  Not knowing if we were going to take the Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour Bus or walk the streets of Palermo on our own, we dressed accordingly, outfitted with coats and scarves as though our hair would be blowing in the wind at the top of a double-decker sight seeing bus.  The streets were inviting.  The shopping was interesting. Wyona and I slipped into a specialty shop, looking at the high end cashmere sweaters, priced at 219 Euros, then actually buying a silk red flower (2 Euros) for my hair at dinner tonight in the low end market. 

Greg took us by the Palermo Basilica.  Wyona loved the old worn wood of the gates and beams that have been there for centuries.  I liked the images of sea creatures embedded in the marble of the cathedral floor. Greg is the best tour guide, keeping track of the directions we are going and figuring out as we go, how we are going to retrace our steps.  This is our last stop of this first cruise.

As Greg said to me tonight – I go back and try to remember where we have been and what we have done, and it s not easy to keep everything in order.

I agree with him.

1 comment:

  1. One of the most interesting things in Palermo for me were the old tumbling down buildings, just sitting next to the newly infused structures. Such big contrasts. I just loved the old buildings looking the way they should look; old.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.