Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Back Yard

... a touch of purple in the winter garden ...
I like all of the winter interest in the garden, the brush of purple on one plant, the stems of last year’s flowers, now gone to seed, but still hanging onto nature’s beautiful shape and form.

I have to say I even looked for a spade, for I saw some weeds coming up and thought to myself, it is 10 celsius out here – time to get at those weeds.

I drew myself back from the idea of weeding and kept my mind on the glass that has to come off of the porch.

... hand-made doorbell sign ...
... colour in the front patio..
After hanging out in the back for an hour, sweeping glass and autumn’s now dried leaves (that are bigger than the palm of my hand) into garbage bags, I thought, how fun would this be, to use the BBQ and sit out in the back and eat.

I moved the chair around a bit, just to see how many I could get around that table.

Or even, I thought, it would be fun to just pretend to use the BBQ and pick up a week’s groceries in the two tall bags with wheels that can be run down to the Tesco -- a 10 minute walk away.

The birds are singing – and it is 10 above. No wind. The grass and the ivy are green.

This is a charming house, a comfortable place to stay in the evenings while enjoying whatever I wish to do in London during the days.

Even the front of the house holds interest to me.

green waste only / no hot ashes
I have never seen yards that have two large garbage disposal units that are emptied every week.

One container is for green waste only; the other for garbage and is labeled, “no hot ashes”.

As well there are bins on the other side of the yard, one for paper and one for bottles and plastics.

A strong windstorm blew Rebecca’s bins away and she asked the waste collectors where she could go to buy new ones.

He told her to give the municipality a call, that in 2 to 5 days they would deliver new ones to her, and one hour later we heard the truck drive up and drop them off.

.... LDSC as seen in the panes of the front door of the home ..
We live across from the London Day Surgery Centre (LDSC).  

When I look at the front door, standing on the patio, I can see that side of the street reflected in its pane.

This is the side of the door you will knock on when you arrive, those who have yet to come for a visit. 

Arta

3 comments:

  1. i am in Russia this week, reading the post and wondering how Arta can make something interesting out of the simple shape of my house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that purple in the plant. I just read in my photography book that it is good to keep around pictures of designs, colours and shapes for one's photo collection in case a design is needed for the back of a project, webpage or other work. Keep the two in this post for further reference for sure. Keep enjoying London!

    How is Russia Rebecca? I wil keep an eye out for posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, re making something interesting about the simple shape of your house, ... the house is interesting. Who gets to live in a kitchen with 12 foot high walls that have 4 decorative strips of molding decorating the ceiling, one more strip at the 11 foot mark on the walls and another more ornate strip at the 8 foot mark -- and all of those are higher than I can touch. I have to throw my head back and look up.

    What I thought when I finally got out to the backyard (after being here for 6 weeks without stepping there) is this: if I can stop hopping on the tube and going off to see London, I can find a whole world of adventure, just back in this tiny spot.

    I didn't even mention the four foot high, three-bowl, Italian water fountain out beyond the pergola. Nor did I mention my fear that Glen, when he gets here, is going to make a better picnic out here in the back than I can make.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.