Saturday, February 18, 2012

Beautiful Souls

I am a list maker, mostly of pleasure I am looking forward to experiencing.

My lists haven’t stopped here in London.

As you can imagine, I can never see or hear more than one out of every ten events that cross my mind.

Right now on that list of shows I want to see next are the Immigration Exhibit at the Tate Britain and the Lucian Feud Portraits at the National Portrait Gallery.

I did make it into the gallery long enough to see “Beautiful Souls”, etchings behind glass that ran along the wall, and under the windows of one of the rooms.

The collection is the portrait studies by Violet Manners of a glamorous set of aristocrats and socialites.

The display highlights the cultural influence of this set of people.

If I had not been studying the “What’s On” brochure that published by the gallery, I would have hurried on past this cabinet to something larger, maybe even more colourful.

Or even stayed longer at the image of Lady Colin Campbell (1897) by Boldini, whose large portrait on the wall of Room 28 overshadows all of the Beautiful Souls in the cabinet on the wall.

Still, I managed to keep my eye off of her (for part of the time) and study, instead, the beautiful souls.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.