Monday, February 6, 2012

The British Museum

Roof of the British Museum
In London I have been riding the double decker buses.

I have been listening to music in the theatres, studying the faces of brilliant actors on stage, and walking across the Thames on bridges.

I have been eating in the Camden restaurants, so much enjoyment ... and today on entering the British Museum I wondered why it has taken me so much time to get back there.

Highlights from the World of Sutton Hoo

Had I forgotten that this is one of my all time favourite spots in London?

I am never here long enough to see what is offered by way of the 20 minute spotlight tours or the half-hour taster tours, or even the Friday curator’s spotlight.

My timed ticket for the Hajj exhibit gave me 30 minutes to spend elsewhere and a room off the cloakroom offered insights into The World of Sutton Hoo.

Jesus asking Thomas to thrust his hand into his side
4th panel of ivory box ...
That is what I like about the museum. Every room is a whole new world for me.

I lingered at the four sides of an ivory box, and over a hanging bowl, trying to hold myself back from hurrying on, trying to remember that some people believe it is enough to enter a museum or gallery, see one or two things, and then go out and have coffee and think about them for the rest of the day.

Of course, that person isn’t me.

I looked again at Tennyson’s words inscribed in the floor, “let they feet, millenniums hence, be set in the midst of knowledge”.

And I picked up the schedule so that when I get back there this week, I will arrive just in time for a tour.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.