Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Going towards the High Streeet

... let me find the nutcrackers for those ...
I have been in three other women’s kitchens: Anita’s, Mary’s and now Rebecca’s.

Really been in them, as in ... they have left me the kitchen and their kids and all of us, especially the kids, are worried how we will stay alive until the moms get back.

Arta, an image on the side of a van
Rebecca’s sabbatical kitchen is minimalist, not making cooking pots here, so it was no surprise to me that I couldn’t find nutcrackers.

There has been a small white bowl on the counter since I came, and I decided I would get rid of that bowl, crack the nuts in it and use them in some baking.

I asked Steve if he had any idea where the nutcrackers were, since there are only 2 drawers here full of the miscellaneous kitchen tools that women usually have.

... a hint of spring on the ground ...

I have searched through the plastic popsicle container, the candy thermometer, the potato peeler, but no nutcrackers.

Steve was glad to ask me a leading question. “Why are you cracking the nuts that the kids picked up at the park when we were walking the dog?”

... Poundland ...
So instead of cooking I spent two hours today walking the High Street – with my camera.

What I like about having a camera is that I am learning to see things – really see them, as the camera captures them and not as I think they look.

Shadows still surprise me.

... a fence close to home ...
Sometimes even my own shadow surprises me.

Today when I was looking closely at a brick wall, I was surprised at the depth of the shadow in a crevice, so I found myself looking at the wall, then looking at the picture the camera captures, then looking at the monitor again.

What I stop to take pictures of, I can find at home: a dried hydrangea, red berries on brown twigs, a street that leads towards home.

... winter seasonal interest ...
I like the High Street towards which I was moving. There is a certain charm in calling a business “Poundland”.

... the walk towards home ...
There are a plethora of Rental businesses, and lots of restaurants: Chinese, Indian, Persian, the best Turkish food in Finchley, Sushi, Mediterranean and even a fish and chips shop.

I am also surprised at the number of places where you can stop and lay a bet.

Now that is something we don’t have at home.

Arta

P.S. Check out the poster in this shop.


Duncan's favorite shop sign
sounds like a Wanted Poster "Dead or Alive"
from the Wild West
--about the robber, Old Gold--

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.