Thursday, February 9, 2012

Killing Time: Travelling Light

Photo: The Independent

I was eating my supper alone, Rebecca packing for Russia and Duncan busy at the TV. 

To kill time, I pulled out the London Theatre Guide to see what entertainment is offered, next week.  I was looking for something new to see. I noticed that Travelling Light is being offered at the National Theatre and at the same time remembered pencilling Travelling Light into my day book, as being shown at theatres around the world on HD tonight.

“Have I got time to make it?” I asked Rebecca.

“You run the flights of stairs to the third floor for your purse,” she said, “and I will have the bus schedule of how to get you there figured out by the time you get back to the table again.”

The Phoemix, the local art theatre, was sold out for the performance

In the lobby a few people were selling off tickets they didn’t need, one of which I bought. 

I went directly to my seat and the show started, a mere 30 minutes between when I saw the ad and went I had unwrapped my scarf from my neck and settled down to three hours of theatre pleasure.

A Question and Answer Period followed the play – people from all over the world using Twitter to ask their questions of the playwright and the director who were by then, sitting on the stage.  To begin with, the moderator said, “First, we have groundbreaking news.  It is snowing outside here in London.”  Sure enough someone went out the exit and I could see the fir trees already laden with snow.  I felt right at home.

On the way home I was trying to remember the name of the technique, where a camera is used inside a film -- it took me a couple of blocks to remember "reflexivity".  What I liked about the movie is that the camera that was used in the film (about film) was one originally used by the Lumiere Brothers, or so the script said. 

How cool was that!

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.