Friday, February 17, 2012

On good books and good vegetables

Mary writes the following to me:

I am reading Jeanette Winterson’s autobiography Why be happy when you could be normal.  It is painful, insightful, and breathtakingly beautifully written, just as all her novels are.  I have never ‘wanted’ to read an autobiography until I saw she had written one.  Her books are such a brilliant mix of her real life and an invented world.  Her autobiography feels the same way.  I keep thinking, this can’t be true, but I know it is.  She makes a point that what is left out of the story is just as important as what is put into it.  The things that are just too painful are the things that get left out.

Anyway, a beautiful book so far, and I am still in her childhood years.  She does such a beautiful job of mixing the world as she saw it when she was young, with what she understands about it now.  She is one of my all-time favourite authors.

Also found the time last night to make 6 dozen choc chip cookies for the cubs who were at our house using Leo’s wood shop to make their cub cars.  I told them all I want them to like my house the best so I will make cookies anytime they come over.  I am so transparent.
One by one, a little cub would come up to my kitchen and ask for a drink of water. I would see where the warm chocolate chips had rubbed against the side of their faces.

"Have you had a cookie?"

"Yes."

"Have you have more than one?"

"Yes."

"Have you had enough cookies?"

"Yes."

"Good. Here is your drink of water."

Hugs to you all.

P.S.  Anyone have any good ideas for getting kids to eat for veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.