Thursday, February 2, 2012

Shopping for Food

 One of the interesting choices Wyona makes as she travels is that she slips into local grocery stores.

She may come out with drinks to carry along the way.

She may have a new kind of anise bread to share.

Perhaps she will have picked up several bags of local candy that she hasn't tasted.

It is the local merchants that she frequents and I get the feeling that I am really among the people who live in towns we go through.

Here she was being utterly goofy and said that she wanted to have her picture taken a la Hollywood style ie wearing sunglasses.

A woman who was passing by laughed outloud when she heard Wyona.

She pulled her husband over to the side, and stopped in front of us saying, please give me the camera and let me take a picture of both of you.

It is really going to work out.

We didn't capture many pictures with the three of us together. If we had planned for this, it couldn't have happened.

Three women who schedule their lives a couple of year ahead are not likely to find themselves together on the spur of the moment.

But it worked for us.

And now I am missing both of them.

I can't believe they would go home and leave me in London all alone.

3 comments:

  1. Called the 'circle of representation' in tourism, when a person wants to mimic a photograph that s/he has seen over and over. Once that person reaches that destination, or one like it, s/he wants a picture just like the one seen. This person takes it home, shows others, and the cycle of wanting a picture like that with you in the shot begins again. Ahhh Hollywood and my education at work.
    http://jtr.sagepub.com/content/47/3/346.abstract
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14616680309715

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Tonia,

      Thank you for the urls.

      I will be out there taking a look today. I like having other people do my research.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.