Saturday, February 25, 2012

Squid in a Tin

...squid in a tin ... with original squid ink...
...which I served on the side...
One the TV programmes that doesn't interest me, is the one where chefs are given five ingredients, and then told to do something creative with those foodstuffs, in less than 30 minutes.

How did someone market a technqiue into a TV programme that does just what women have been doing for years, ie looking in almost empty cupboards, finding five ingredients, and making a feast out of what seems is going to be a famine.

When I saw 2 tins of squid in Rebecca's cupboard, I did ask her who had purchased these.

 "Oh, Alex wanted to try them, but I think his interest is now gone."

Fine, I thought. I can hide those in some egg foo yung, a dish I can whip up in 30 minutes or less.

On opening them, I had to taste them -- having never had tins of those in my cupboards.

First one, then another, then a third piece, and then the question to Rebecca before they were gone, "Have you tried these yet?"

"A bit fishy", she said, "and I have never tasted 'fish' in egg food yung."

I can remember adding shrimp to egg foo yung (though I must not have done it when Rebecca lived at home), so it wasn't exactly her comment that held me back from tossing the squid in.

Still, I held off and served them on the side, still in the tin to the right of the picture.

Anyone wish they were eating with us that night?  If your answer is yes, you can see, there wouldn't have been much left for you by the time we finally sat down to eat.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.