Sunday, March 4, 2012

Shuswap Birds

David Pilling asked me if I knew the name of the bird that sings in the mornings at the Shuswap,  the one who sings 2 long notes, the second note dropping a semi-tone from the first.  I have heard that bird, imitated that bird song, watched that bird, but I couldn't remember the name of that bird.

I began to run through my list of birds I see when I am in B.C.: the sandhill crane in the spring, the geese in the fall and the tundra and trumpeter swans in the winter.  How many times have I looked up and seen a bald eagle circling above or an osprey flying back to its nest, a bird still wiggling in its talons.  I have walked through the woods and see the impressive pileated woodpecker.

I have even seen a Great Blue Heron flying through the air.  But I can't remember the name of that little thing that sings in the mornings.  Where is my birding book that is full of yellow stickies when I need it?

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.