Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Boiled Raisin Cookies --- Mmmmmm

I know what Arta is going to say when she sees the title of this post:  Gross.  Why would you make those.

In fact, I think she may have even said that to me in person this September when she was visiting me.

But I love them.

Tonight I decided to make them. 

Here is the recipe I used taken from the following Blog called My Tiny Oven

http://mytinyoven.blogspot.ca/2011/05/boiled-raisin-cookies-happy-mothers-day.html


2 cups raisins
1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp all spice
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
4 cups all purpose flour

Put the water and raisins in a small sauce pan. Out over medium high heat and cook until the water starts to boil. Keep at a boil for 5 minutes. Do not let it boil dry!
Remove from heat and stir in the 1 tsp. baking soda. Let the mixture cool a little.
In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla and spices. Gradually add in the flour. Mixture will get very stiff and a little crumbly, don’t worry! Add in the raisin mixture, with any water that is left in the pot. Gently stir all together.
Drop by the heaping tablespoon onto a silpat lined baking mat.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool on a rack.

2 comments:

  1. Boiled raisin cookies were a staple when I was growing up. I must have done some of them for my children, since you do know the taste of them. And you are right about where I put them on my list of favorite cookies -- way down low. Perhaps they are like cinnamon buns, I have just had enough of them. But if you made the cookies with butter, I would try at least one to see if I have changed my mind about them.

    At Christmas time we had another cookie I remember making -- a plain sugar cookie. But the cookie cutters were the charm -- I remember the Santa face and how we would decorate it, red hat, tuft of white on the top of the hat which was sprinkled with coconut and then coconut all over his beard. I can't imagine that the cookies would have been a work of art -- all of that icing around and the slipping of the knife here and there. And all of those little dishes of different coloured icing. Still, a fond memory -- those cookie cutters that my mother owned. Another shape was a stocking and the fur on top of the stocking must have been decorated with coconut as well.

    Now it is just easier to go to Costco and buy a plastic bowl filled with Laceys, the new deliciously irresistible macadamia and milk chocolate cookie. Easier, at least, since there is no decorating involved... and no boiling of raisins.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to get some Lacy's from somewhere in my house. I know they are there but where is that safe place that I put them. Ohhh, now I remember, in the _____ in a box along with some macademia nut cookies.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.