Friday, April 5, 2013

Dance and Snacks

"I like to order frozen yogurt for my treat."
Rebecca says she would have liked to have joined us at the ballet.

We do know how to get good treats.

As for the ballet, the storyline includes the beautiful Esmeralda and the people who love her: Gringoire, her husband; the evil Archdeacon Frollo, who desires her; his henchman, Quasimodo, who is sent to capture her; and Phoebus, the handsome captain of the guards, whom she loves.

"Anyone want to share a large popcorn with me?"
The synopsis handout dealt with the ballet's history, its composer, the choreography, the set design, the costuming and had some information about the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra.

"Please add blackberries to my yogurt."
I am only marginally acquainted with ballet conventions.

 I had read that the third act has a magnificent pas de six – so I had to look up with that meant.

 I had looked to the Wikipedia update on the ballet a couple of times.

But that was not enough in the way of preparation.

Coming Soon ... Jurassic Park
Probably what stayed with me the longest was the character, Quasimodo, hunched, crouching, disfigured – not the usual character for a ballet dancer.

I spent some time watching how he used the music to deepen his character.

The next Bolshoi is Roemo and Juliet, May 12th or 13th, depending on where you live.

I couldn't find any reviews -- only this precis.

Romeo and Juliette
"To Prince Escalus’ dismay, the rivalry between the Capulets and Montagues brings bloodshed to the city of Verona. Romeo, heir of the Montagues, is distraught as his love for Rosaline is not returned. To console him, his friend Mercutio persuade him to attend the ball Capulet has organised to find possible suitors for his daughter Juliet. Romeo attends the ball incognito at the Capulet house. However, when Romeo meets Juliet, the two fall instantly in love with each other. They are overwhelmed when they discover they belong to two rival families."

See you at the theatre.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.