Sunday, May 26, 2013


FRC's Legally Blonde: the Musical's Programme
The last production of this season's Front Row Centre is  Legally Blonde: The Musical. Lurene Bates is the Musical Director of the show.

Her bio reads “This is Lurene’s music directorial debut? Thank you Tim and Janet in particular for your advice and support. This was a big undertaking, with a baby in tow most days. I hope you enjoy the show, because I loved being part of it. OMG, cast band, crew, and production team!

... alternate trombonist, Tim Oldham ...
 Tim Oldham also appears in the production as the trombone alternate. His bio reads “Tim is a substitute trombonist for a few shows. If you hear any notes that you think sound wrong, you’re mistaken. Time is just tryng to give the score a more ‘contemporary music’ flavour.

... waiting for the show to begin ...
I attended the Sunday matinee with Wyona, Zoe and Charise. Of course we aren’t allowed to take any pictures of the show, so I hope you enjoy the pics of ‘us’ at the show. On the way home Wyona asked Zoe which show she enjoyed more: the London Production or this one. Zoe said both were good. I have to agree with her. Elle was so “elle” with 15 costume changes . Warner was appropriately handsome and a good singer. Emmett’s voice so mellow I was wanting him to stop the show and do some of his numbers again.

If you have seen the in London you will know how funny it is – and the humour hasn’t worn off with additional performances for me. I laughed at the same jokes – the UPS man, the Celtic dance, the scene  where Emmett suits up – and the Greek chorus – oh, they had some fine moments – not some – many!

 ...Tim and Wyona having a chat during the intermission ...
I kept watching some of their foot work, wondering if I could remember it long enough to go home and practise the steps.

There was a charm in this performance that didn’t grab me in London. On the way out I was telling Wyona that the actors milked some of the beautiful gag lines in a way that made me laugh outloud. She said she felt the same way.

Zoe in front of cast pictures -- including the dogs
So?

The show goes May 24th to June 8th.

Our tickets were $15 each.

If I weren’t flying out to Victoria Wednesday morning, I would be going again and taking Ceilidh, Dalton and Meighan.

Maybe twice. A bargain compared to seeing it in the West End or on Broadway – the jokes and the fun of the musical numbers is all there.

 Hatterday Petro-Queens in the audience enjoying the production ...
...If Wyona and I had only known they were coming in costume ...
The only additional cost is that you will want to go out and buy the CD.

Stellar work, Lurene. Thanks to you and your colleagues for the fun.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. I too thought the show was fabulous! I am going to go again and again this week if I can make time. There is a lot going on, on stage at once. The chorus in the cast were outstanding. Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Parking:
    The City of Calgary opens a free parking lot beside the Pumphouse Theatre and closes it 30 minutes after the performance. We hurried along the sidewalk to get to the car after the show was over. A cyclist (4 of them actually) came zooming out of an alley, the first one turning the corner and using the sidewalk ... which we were already on. He hit his brakes, skidding into Wyona, backed up, zipped out to the road between 2 cars, travelling on ... still ahead of his companions. She fell into the side of the parked car. I can remember how time suddenly slowed down for me, watching to see if she was going to hit the ground as well, her feet stumbling and her arms giving her balance on the car. She recovered and called out a cautionary message to the errant cyclist. He was too far away to hear her.

    As she recovered her composure and we kept walking to the lot, I said, "That could have gone down a whole lot worse".

    She agreed.

    When you go to the show, use the parking lot and watch for cyclists from behind on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re watching the "Greek" chorus as Wyona mentioned in her comment.

    She told me to look at their costuming, that they have many changes as well and that the costume changes are consistent and reflect the "type" of girl in the chorus. I didn't get a chance to watch enough of that, but did catch on that when they come on stage and are in white -- that is when they are only visible to Elle. When they have coloured costumes on, all of the characters can see them. Now that was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun to read this, and I have the OMG song running through my head now! (though Duncan's favourite is Blood in the Water)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.