Friday, May 31, 2013

Hubbard Glacier, Part II


... cold enough to be wearing gloves, even if you aren't ...
May 12

My poor little camera didn’t know what to do today.

Point and click usually works, but today the vessel was headed to Hubbard Glacier, 31 miles in diameter.

So many shades of white and ice blue between the sky, the glaciers, the snow-topped mountains and the icebergs in the water.

Wyona was excited with the first berg bits that were sighted, but she has been here before, so she knew it was the beginning of nature’s ice-water wonderland. Glacier Seekers. That is the name the instructor gave to all of those who listened to him on channel 16 as we cruised along, Captain Tamamas at the helm. He stopped to pick up two more navigators who would help us get to the most permissible point possible in Yakutat Bay.

... mixing textures and states of water ...
Naturalist Dirk Younkerman narrated the trip over the ship’s PA system. Apparently there are many glaciers protected now, so that cruise ships and other methods of transportation can’t get too close to them. This is one of the few that can still be accessed by a vessel this large.

Wyona and Greg on the family balcony
... trailing bits of berg ...
I usually buy those after I have been some place because I want to know more.

I believe that the best travel books for any regions are the ones that I can buy in the local bookstore of that region.

 I know that is true in Calgary and Banff.

And I can never buy enough, or know enough. If I lend mine and don’t get them back, I am always hoping that the person will at least reach for them as often as I do.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.