Friday, June 7, 2013

Cold Recall

First Poster in Amundsen Series
I think this will only be interesting to Rebecca, but in connection with the Congress 2013, in the McPherson Library, Lower Foyer is a display called Cold Recall: Reflections from the Northwest Passage.

The Congress Guide says, “The Norwegian explorer, Roald Amudsen, spent two years in the Canadian North living among the Inuit in Gjoa Haven (Nunavut0 before sailing through the Northwest Passage. This exhibit made possible through the generous support of the Royal Norwegian Embassy offers a glimpse into Amundsen’s travels, including his original photos and lantern slides.”

The photos and text hand on ceiling to floor scrolls – very beautiful and packed with carefully chosen text. I hope it is still hanging there when you get back, Rebecca. A treasure, especially given your current research interest.

As well I listened to a two hour lecture on the Icelandic rimur – a long narrative poem intended to be sung, chanted or delivered orally – composed mostly from the 16th century to the early twentieth century.

Why do all of these events come to town just as you leave?

Arta

4 comments:

  1. The text is exquisite ... as are the photographs. I was wanting to take full length pictures of all of the hangings and wondering why they don't have a catalogue to go along with the exhibit. Such a good way to visit the Nunavut of the past and I am thinking if I take a close read on everything next week, some of the incidents that I can't put together in the films I am watching, will come clear.

    Too bad our paths aren't going to cross again. 'Twould be nice to do it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, hello!!! Canadian Studies major here. I am interested!!! Don't think I will make it to Victoria to see this exhibit either. Hope it is still there for Rebecca when she gets back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to be a Canadian Studies major. But I am not there yet. I have to say the political science panel discussing Harper's initiatives around imprinting military history on Canadians was exhilarating. What would being a Canadian Studies major in my 70's look like, I wonder. I like social history. I am going to see a Joe Fafard sculptural exhibit today at the Emily Carr house. And I am going back to the Cold Recall exhibit at the University of Victoria library to read every word of text on the Cold Recall exhibit. I will probably have to borrow a chair at the library because there is a couple of hours of work there.

    Will these two acts work towards giving me some Canadian Studies background for when I finally start taking courses.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.