Saturday, June 1, 2013

Our Balcony

... the table of the royal suite below us ...
The Bates are getting a reputation for cruising in the spare moments of their retirement.

Someone who watches might say Wyona is the one who is the driver in this endeavour.

On researching their history I believe her story.

... sliding door between my room and theirs ...
“I asked Greg what he would like to do now that he is retired. He said he heard at work that people like cruising and that he would like to try it. I had no idea how to go about arranging this. I just dove in, choose an itinerary and thought, now or never, do or die, we will see if we like it or not. Now whenever I suggest cancelling a cruise I have a courtesy booking on, Greg says, no ... he would like to go on yet one more time.”

... spacious quarters of 2 rooms ...
My evidence for believing her story is that when the the Grandeur of the Seas  had a fire, Greg said, “That is my favorite vessel, the ship I think is most beautiful of them all. An older ship, yes. And perhaps not as well laid out as some of the newer ones. Still, the one I would choose to cruise on over all others.”

.. the length of our balcony ...
Greg knows his ships and loves them.

For my part, the ship I am on is the one I like the best.

Having the family balcony was a treat we couldn’t take full advantage of.

I learned balconies can only be used for more purposes than sunning on the deck or eating food that has been delivered to the door.



... looking at the balconies above ...
The weather didn’t co-operate for sunning.

We stood out there wrapped in our warm sweaters and coats, even wrapped in blankets from our beds.
Sometimes we were under umbrellas, ducking underneath to keep out of the drizzle.

I hung out on the balcony, watching for a beautiful sunrise or sunset.
... room service peanut satay ...
I was out there the whole day we circled the Hubbard Glacier.

From this cold balcony is where I studied the spy ships, watched the whales jump, marvelled at the sail-in’s and sail-out’s, and saw the changing colour of the water as clouds hovered and then disappeared.

2 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful room and balcony. Just cold enough that we really only lived out there for two days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyona is making me laugh. Hard to know what "living out on the balcony" means. She might be referring to the wonderful two sunny days that I missed talking about. The sun was warm, the deck chairs were brought up close to the rail, there was food on the table and drinks on the side table -- enough for us, and for Greg when he would slip back in from somewhere else on the ship to see if we were as happy as he.

    I didn't talk about those two days in my post. I couldn't believe that they had really happened so I left them out.

    We spent part of that time in the sun plotting to see how we could get Moiya and David, or Janet and Glen to come with us next time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.