Saturday, June 1, 2013

Vancouver by Sea


... going under the bridge at down ...
I have always wanted to kayak the Inside Passage.

As well, I read a book that Glen recommended to me about a widow who took her four children and sailed the Inside Passage for the summer holidays. I liked that idea.

Sailing through the islands on a huge ocean liner is the option that came my way.

... Vancouver from the boat ...
Rebecca recommended this trip with faint praise – it is just like what we see everyday when we live in British Columbia.

Glen recommends it from a helicopter.

I would go back in a heartbeat – perhaps up and back the next time instead of doing one-way.

... would love to take a shore excursion here ...,
instead, we head on home
On the third leg of this cruise, I saw the world’s longest zip-line in operation on the trip.

“Weren’t you afraid of a back injury,” I asked someone in their late forties. “I already have a back injury, and the landing was fine. No problem.” The cost was $100. The journey up the mountain took 45 minutes. The trip down is 90 seconds. Maybe I will try that the next time I go.

I was up early to watch the sail in. When it was over Greg walked in the door of the cabin.

That is the problem of being separated by a sound-proof door.

He had been up early as well and had gone up to the top deck to watch.

... ship with containers ...
I was happy on the balcony. I liked everything – the fog, the other ships also docking, the containers on shore, the sound of the loons.

 ... someone watching us from another boat ...
I even liked customs. Long rows of passengers debarking. Two women tearing off one strip from our custom’s declarations and sending us on our way. I kept wondering where customs was, long after it was over.

... changing views from the balcony ...
Nice to be headed home and I love Wyona and Greg for having the next cruise already planned.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of Vancouver, Arta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day was foggy and I was thinking of putting my camera away because it so so much more fun to work with it in the sun. I learned early in the cruise that we would have a lot of fog -- or sometimes smog. So there was no use waiting for the sunny days to take pictures. Remember the Chinese guide who told us that the smog we were seeing in the city was just that -- smog. He said for year the government told them it was just fog, but now the people know it is smog that covers the city. Only on a windy day does it leave, and then it is blown to another province he said.

    Back to Vancouver. Of all of the cruising days, the one I don't like is the day we leave the ship. It is call "a day" but we are usually off of the ship by 9 am. I decided to make my Vancouver day a full day, by getting up early and watching as we entered the harbour. Then I enjoyed again the docking process. By 9 am I felt I had my full day.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.