Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Day of Hunting

Dictated by Richard
Typed by Arta
... skinning tools on top of deep freeze in the garage ...

I got up at 5:45 am to drive to my father-in-laws. I was already ½ hour late. I should have been up earlier. We drove down south of Longview, almost to the Crowsnest Past, down to Indian Burial Graveyard, just north of the Crowsnest about 5 minutes. We drove to our normal location and walked about 1 kilometer into the bush. We sat down and started to wait. Maybe an hour afterwards at least 3 different groups of hunters surrounding us had shot at something I got antsy and told Chris, “I am going to walk into the bush another kilometer and see if I can see anything.” I walked in and climbed the right side of a valley because it was easier to see past and down into this huge open area that no one can get into without walking 2 miles. I wanted a clear view of this bowl of land north of where we hunt. By that time my shoes were full of water and I sat down and ate my mandarin orange. I pulled one of my spare sets of socks out of my backpack and put dry socks on and then used the walkie-talkie to ask Chris which way he wanted me to walk back. Of course, he said come back the long way which required climbing straight down into a gulch and then straight back up the other side.

I am in very good shape right now. I have biked to work and back more than 1000 kilometers this fall, but climbing the other side of that hill is not something I would choose to do a second time.

Braden Keeler gave this to me for Christmas.
The tool changed the way I think about skinning.
I wouldn't have liked to do this before I was thirty.
Half way up the hill I looked back across to the other side where I had come from and saw a hunter sitting at the top comfortably leaning against a tree and staring at me. I finished climbing the hill with a little more gusto and reached the top, completely out of breath, my heart racing and dripping sweat. As I got to this peak which is one of the highest peaks in the area, I looked across and along a little bowl on the top of the mountain on the other side where 2 deer were running in Chris’s direction. I called him and said they may be coming your way.

... deer is secured to the ceiling to hang for 5 days or so ...
They will be high on the hill if they are coming through.

I sat down to cool off.

I saw one deer’s head but no ass and the only way to identify so I can shoot is by seeing the rear end.

I laid down in a more stable shooting position and kept staring at that top of the mountain.

... I should have done this last night ...
Finally the deer turned and started walking the otheer way. As it was walking I could see horns on its head, so I knew I wouldn’t be shooting at that one. I was only there for white-tailed does. I walkie-talkied to Chris and told him it was a buck I had been staring at.

She was 3 or 4 years old.
She had her babies.
Now she will feed us for the winter.
This is better for her than being attacked by the coyotes this winter.
Suddenly to the left of the buck I saw a doe. I got comfortable. She wasn’t in a rush. I laid down as secure as I could. I aimed at her shoulders. After my shot, instead of looking through the scope, I looked with my eyes to see if I could catch her running if I had missed her. She ran as fast as anything could run, but more in a downhill direction. Not away from me, but to the left, downhill. Usually they will fall where they are if you hit them properly. I assumed I had scared her and she was making her way out of the area.

... this tool makes all the difference...
I decided to walk over to where I shot at her and see if I could stalk her for a while and catch up to her. It was a long shot, probably 250 to 350 yards, which means just barely at the range of where my gun is reasonably accurate. When I arrived over there, there was blood everywhere in the snow and blood along her trail down the mountain. Usually stalking an animal is pretty tricky, but it was easy to follow the blood trail. I was happy to have come over to look at the sight, for with this much blood she was a goner and I was going to catch up to her and take her out of the mountains and over to the truck.

I walked and walked for so long and the blood trail never stopped. I walked and walked and couldn’t imagine something having this much blood in its body. I caught up to her, but when I did she ran through the bushes, before I got another shot at her. By this time I had walked almost all the way back to Chris, maybe 200 yards away.

She got up from where I found her and she ran straight to Chris.

She came through 20 feet away from him.

He took one shot and missed, but then got a second chance and got her. He aimed low. But he got her.

Natives can hunt anytime.
I need a tag.  See my name?
After 2 miles or more of climbing through the mountains, I chased this deer all the way through the mountains so he could get the kill shot. After his second shot, on the walkie-talkie I said as quickly as I could, I don’t care if you hit it. I am tagging this deer. It is my deer. He laughed and said fine, whatever. My pride required that deer.

... the job is done now ... time to let the meat hang ...
I performed last rights. I opened her up, dressed her and dragged her rest of the way to the car. Usually dragging a 100 pound sack of potatoes along the ground is arduous, but when I am so full of adrenalin, I could hardly tell I was dragging her along.

... let's get this mess into the garbage ... no putting it out for the crows ...
When I got back to the truck and ate a sandwich, I noticed I was so tired, I could hardly stand back up.

We drove back into town and opened Arta’s garage.

I usually hang a deer by the hind quarters but we had to hang this deer from the front legs, which will make skinning it tonight more difficult, but it shouldn’t be too much of a bother.

I am at Arta’s, dictating, but I am going to go home and take a nap.

Richard

5 comments:

  1. Thanks to Arta for dictating... i was happy to read the post (and about your exercise and the last rites). So you were taking down a deer this weekend, while my family was using deer skin to make drums. serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. the skinning knife looks like an ulu! those things rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your narrative was so compelling, I forgot to study the photos. After David's NERF gun war yesterday for his birthday, I have a new found admiration for the capacity of hunters not to injure each other. Quite frankly, I am surprised more "friendly fire" injuries do not happen in hunting trips. Perhaps you try to avoid having 20 hunters in a 18' x 55' space with no targets other than each other.

    What are last rites for a deer?

    Why did you have to use the front legs rather than the hind this time?

    What are you pointing at in the 8th photo?

    How did your father-in-law get the deer to run straight to him?

    How do you divide up the meat amongst the two of you?

    How many total hours were you out in the cold?

    Did you sanitize your hands before eating your sandwich once you got to the car?

    How old will Michael Hunter have to be before you take him on his first three-generation hunting trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard for me to believe that I can answer some of your questions, Bonnie. I may not get 100% on all of the answers, but I bet I will get 75% on most of them.

    Regarding "friendly fire" from hunters -- I remember once when Doral Pilling came home from hunting and his head was full of shot. A friend he had gone hunting with shot into the bushes when he saw them moving. Unfortunately it was Doral in there. I remember Doral sitting at the table and Wyora picking the shot out of his face with tweezers. Then for many months, shot that was deeper would move forward to the skin and Doral would pick at it to get it out, like it was a pimple, but no ... it was shot.

    RE: last rites for a deer?
    That is gutting it so you can pull it out of the bushes and get it into the truck to bring home.

    Re: hanging by the front legs?
    That was the sad part. The deer had her back leg shot off, so she was running on three legs. Richard thought hearing that would be too hard for people, but it happens sometimes. Thus it was hung by the front legs. Not ideal, but ... necessary.

    Re: the eighth photo and what Richard is pointing to?
    He is showing me how the blood started pooling because he didn't skin it soon enough. He knew that he should skin it that night, but he was so tired he couldn't make himself do it, so he got up early the next morning -- but the job was now harder. A lot of times I heard him say, "This would have been easier last night and taken less time. But I just couldn't do it. So I am here now."

    RE: the 7th photo and what Richard is showing me. I think he is showing me the sinew, the connecting sinew and he is pointing with the "ulu" that Braden gave him. He loves that tool and thinks Braden Keeler gives the best gifts -- ones that he knows a hunter could really use.

    RE: getting the deer to run to Chris?
    No one was more surprised than Richard when he saw the direction the deer was running. He radioed Chris and told him that the deer would be coming right at him and to watch for it.

    RE: dividing the meat.
    I think that is done the same way that BINGO players divide the spoils when they play together. Whomever is there gets 1/2 or 1/3 or whatever they decide before they all get together. Miranda told me that Richard and Chris had gone hunting again this morning. They spotted a herd of 150 elk last night and they went out this morning to see if they could get one. Hoping that the herd hadn't moved too far. Miranda was hoping they would be successful. She told me that there is so much meat on an elk compared to a deer. She reminded me that on their porch, I had seen a large crate full of meat that had been processed and that what I had seen was only 1/4 of an elk.

    When I came home tonight from shopping, I didn't look in my garage to see if there was another animal hanging there. When I walk in the garage, I have sometimes forgotten the first one is hanging there, and it gives me quite a surprise. I don't scream but I can hear myself suddenly exhale all of my breath to calm myself.

    The next two questions, only Richard can answer. On the final question I can say that I was over at Michael Hunter's today and he only has interest in making play dough into anacondas at this point. No "play" hunting. I wonder if he knows an anaconda is, pound for pound, the largest snake in the world. As far as I could tell, his only interest was in dragging it across the table and unwinding it, if I tried to show him that the snake wanted to curl up and rest. I am pretty sure that the love of hunting skips a generation, so it might be Michael's children who get interested in hunting.

    My evidence is that my dad liked to hunt, but my brothers don't hunt much. They do treasure Doral's guns but not the thrill of the chase.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.