Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Thrift Store

My first bag from Cozumel.
"If your culture is 'working class', you probably know the best thrift store in town and its hours by heart." Or so the line goes in the Culture of Poverty Competency course.

Do you have a favorite thrift store?

I found mine in Salmon Arm, BC. It is known for its fair prices, its weekly specials, and its extensive inventory.

Why is it my favorite? Take, for example, the fact that I have never been to Cozumel but I have always wanted to go.

No need to go now. I have a bag from there.

It cost only $1 at the "Smile, God Loves You" thrift store.

Wyona claims, "That bag is no good.
It is not from the Hong Kong Market"
.
For another dollar, I have a second bag that could have come from a market in Hong Kong.

The biggest savings was on the travel to get the bag.

Gas from Annis Bay to Salmon Arm? $2.50.
Savings? $4,000.

Pouria's new outdoor work hoodie. Price? $1
Pouria went to this thrift store with me. 

He found an item of outdoor clothing for all of the outside jobs I had lined up for him during his visit: put up the Christmas lights, sweep the moss off the roof, clean the eaves troughs, load old lumber into Dave's truck to take to the burn pile, help with the plywood on the roof of Dave's boat shed ...

Those were just the outside jobs.

He was also given an important inside job that no one else could do. The inside job required no special outfit, but plenty of technique: play Halo with David each night.

It must have gone well, at least from David's perspective. When asked what he would like with his Sunday night dinner of Pizza next week he thought, and thought, and then replied with a sheepish grin, "Pizza and Pouria".

2 comments:

  1. i cant believe I have never gone inside that store (given the size of font of the sign!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that you are not a shopper, it would not surprise me that you haven't gone in that store. Pouria and I went by the Windmill store that is only a block away from the thrift store -- lots of European cookies, crackers, deli meats, etc. He picked up a couple of chicken pieces, just hot from the BBQ for lunch.

    Moiya told me she hasn't even gone in that store yet.

    I am getting a lot of use out of my $1.00 bag from Cozumel. The cost is down to $.20 per use and going lower.

    Oh, the joys of a thrift store!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.