Sunday, December 15, 2013

9 Grain Cereal

Getting on in years when ...
the best part of a shopping adventure is buying porridge.
When Moiya wrote about her adventure down to the Rogers Mill in Armstrong to learn to make crackers, I remembered that I went on a similar trip with her a few weeks previous to her second trip.  The Rogers  outlet is like a community health food store that specializes in grains and spices.  Hard, really hard, not to walk along the isles and not fill a shopping basket with treasures, like the 9 Grain Cereal that popped into my cart.

I like Red River, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat -- all of the cooked porridges.  They feel like just the right amount of sustenance to get through a morning of hard work.

 I was reading the 9 Grains label, since I have become a label  reader and I wanted to figure out if there were really 9 grains in the package, or if some of them were doubles, ie wheat bran, wheatlets, etc.  The labelling passed the test -- truly 9 grains and with doubles, there are 12 ingredients listed on the package.

What is different about this cooked cereal is the texture of the porridge.  A potpourri of textures:  smooth, rough, silky, slippery, big grains, small grains, the occasional seed or surprise --thanks for the adventure, Moiya.  This is the fourth time I have cooked up the porridge and I am still liking it.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Ugggh! You can eat all the hot porridge in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot porridge is an acquired taste. I don't know where I am going to put the 9 Grain Cereal, having not eaten enough of it to know how much I like it. But Red River outclasses all kinds of mush. Next in acquired tastes comes oatmeal. Cream of Wheat comes in third, but is still good -- even a nice change from the two above it.

    Right now the 9 Grain is like a dessert. I am sure I like it, but I don't know which of the 3 above it will replace. But then ... I am a lover of hot cereal in the mornings. Not because it tastes good, but because it will get me right through to noon without having one hunger pang. There is a plus to that.

    There are rituals around how to eat porridge. Bonnie Wyora eats hers plain with brown sugar. Grandma Edna used to eat her plain with a cup of milk on the side. She would take half a teaspoon of porridge and then dip it in the cup to fill up the teaspoon with milk, and then put it in her mouth. I like my milk in the same dish as the porridge, but not poured on the middle. I want it rimming the edge but not covering up the middle of the porridge. I eat until I have used up all of the milk, and then I pour more milk in.

    Hold the sugar, please.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.