Friday, December 13, 2013

Making Chocolates with Mary - more pictures

fondant in front, bags of Callebaut behind
I asked Mary if she would take some pictures during her candy making sessions.

Here are an amazing set of pictures that tell it all. First of all, I just love somebody's colouring up on the fridge -- a sign that we are in a real home, making preparations for Christmas.

First of all there was the fondant making and buying the chocolate. I haven't seen the chocolate sold in bags like these before, but my guess is that it is about the same price as when we get it in a 4 kilogram slab, either from soneone we know, or from the bulk food isle at Superstore.
... making bottoms to drop the chocolates on ...

I think we are looking at at least seven kinds of fondant.  There must be Olympian Creams in there somewhere.

The group of friends that Mary makes candy with are getting good. I usually make the bottoms with my index finger, but this fourth finger is working just fine and the job is getting done.
... my guess: dropping sea salt on the caramels ...
a technique I have never tired

I am curious as to why people like the caramels with the sea salt dropped on them.

I know that they are Mary's personal favorite.

We checked them out on the half price counters many times last year.

I don't like the sweet and the salt, but there is a huge following around that taste.

Like in the piano when the left hand crosses over the right
One hand has to be clean for that salt.
This dipper looks absolutely comfortable.

The frying pan in which she keeps the chocolate the right temperature is in front of her.  She doesn't even seem to need an apron on.  And there is no chocolate up and down her arms or touching her cheeks.  She has done this before.  And the next of chocolate in front of her -- I would like to get my hand in there myself.

The chocolate is perfectly tempered on the marble
and just the right consistency for good dipping.
Who is doing the demo with the whole hand dipping method, Mary?

I wish I were the roller along side her.  The chocolate below her hand is just the right temperature to have the chocolates set up by about the fifth one after she has dipped.

The pictures are a joy.

Thanks.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. what fondant flavours did you do? and what are you using for a fondant turning spatula? none of mine are as sturdy as the one we used at Arta's while growing up. My caramel skills are exceptional, but I have not done a fondant in at least 8 years (let alone dipped)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runny caramels sound delicious. Moiya and Arta, get busy making chocolates! I only know how to roll because I never got to dip as a younger person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the first person to ask me to make them chocolates. What flavours do you want, Wyona? I will even teach you how to dip the fondant I do for you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.