Monday, January 6, 2014

an afternoon in the Larch Hills

... the lodge ...
Yesterday afternoon David and I went for our final ski trip before school resumed. There had been a race in the morning, and skiers were huddled around the posted scores outside the lodge. We saved our lodge visit for after we went skiing.

After practicing some lessons from David's Jackrabbit class, we went back to the lodge and bumped into some friends. They invited us to go on the "Roller Coaster": a new ski path built by volunteers for children.

... snack time...
Anita, the mom of our friends Kirsten and Peter, explained that she had been cross-country skiing since she was two-years-old. Her father was Norwegian and it was just their way of life. 

She gave us a quick lesson on how to snowplow since the roller coaster is true to its name - some steep hills with plateaus between. David loves going down the hills. I practice my deep breathing and positive self-talk when I am on them.

... can't keep my camera off the sky ...
After skiing was done, it was time for a snack., By then all the medals had been awarded, and the racers had gone home. Kirsten exclaimed, "We have the lodge to ourselves!"  

We shared our snacks. Kirsten had made chocolate cupcakes. David asked how many she made. That was his only hint that this would be a good snack for return trips.

As we drove home the crescent moon was high in the sky. We happened to drive out at sunset. I couldn't resist stopping half-way down the hill to snap a few shots of the clouds.

I hope to make this our Sunday afternoon routine. We would love for you to join us. 

PS: Bring chocolate cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. We only got to take lunch if it was cold out -- like 20 below. When those days came, I liked to take dill pickle sandwiches.

    I notice the people who live with me here like nutty girl sandwiches. Have you ever tried one of those, David? Your mother is the one who taught me how to make them. I think it is just peanut butter, slices of apple and a piece of cheese.

    You could rename that sandwich, nutty boy.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.