Thursday, January 16, 2014

Coriolanus

Tom Hiddleston plays Coriolanus at the Donmar Warehouse.
Photograph: Johan Persson
Thinking ahead, Coriolanus as presented by  National Theatre Live will be at theatres on January 30, 2014.

Here is a December 18th, 2013 Guardian review by Michael Billington of the Coriolanus production.

Peter Bradshaw also reviews the work for the Guardian.

This will also be an evening to remember.  When Leo and I were talking about highlights from 2013, he said that one of his highlights was see the National Theatre Live production of Macbeth.  From my reading, I think the Coriolanus production will be in that same excellent category.

For those of you who like to book way ahead, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night is coming May 22nd, a repeat of the 2012 performance.  This is one of those performances where seeing the event once is not enough.  In fact, in Salmon Arm the community arranged to have a special showing of this work and the theatre was filled.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Love the name of Coriolanus's mother. Volumina. I had no idea this was a play by Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at the reviews carefully as well. The last time I was at a Shakespeare play I thought, whoops, I think I am out of my depth. Then I remembered. Just stay with it for 15 to 20 minutes. Concentrate. Soon I will be understanding enough to make the event wholly worthwhile. But that early concentration and belief that I will get there to the heart of the show eventually is a leap of faith every time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.