Monday, January 13, 2014

NUTS (Novelty .... Unpredictability ...)

"Oops, I ripped it a little", he said as he opened the envelope.
David got a letter in the mail.

As he slowly peeled the envelope open I heard him mutter, "Please don't be homework."

Seeing his stress as he opened it reminded me of Dr. Lupien's work on human stress.

Novelty and Unpredictability are two elements she identified that create stressful situations. (See her website to learn the other two).

Nope. It wasn't homework in the mail. It was birthday money from a loved one. He has already ear-marked it for his bank account. He is saving up for an X-Box 360.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to the website.

    A few minutes ago, I cheated and looked at this post while it was still in the draft form. Then you had all of the answers to what NUTS stands for embedded in the post. So when I saw you had redrafted and were asking me to go out and take a look, I thought ... mmm, I liked it better when all of the answers were in the draft.

    Still I went to take a look.

    What is really amazing is the level of complexity of the examples. I could relate to them but I especially liked the SENSE OF CONTROL examples as well as the two under THREATS TO EGO.

    The only difficult thing about the link is that I actually had to slow down and think calmly while I read two screens. That wasn't asking too much, though it seemed like it too much to ask ... at least for me at 9 pm.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.