Friday, February 14, 2014

A Red Salad

There was a day I would have turned up my nose at beet salad. I had to rethink that feeling when I was in London and Wyona would go to Selfridges to bring home some of their prepared deli salads. One of the tri-compartment containers was always filled with beet salad.

 ... I haven't tasted beet salad before ...
... You try it first, Dad...
I was reminded of that when I looked at the ten pound bag of beets I purchased at the Coop last week. Oh, I just didn’t purchase one, early on the week, but I purchased a second when the sale was nearly over. A few days later I began to think that maybe Kelvin and I were topped up with cooked beets. Not that salt, cracked pepper and a bit of butter doesn’t make them delightful, but I found I was eating them at noon and at supper time to get rid of what was now an over-supply. So the internet, now being a cook’s best friend, was harnessed to my advantage.

... a vegetarian delight ...
There are probably many variations on beet salad, but I grabbed this one.

It only takes a few pears (my substitution was apple pears), some feta and a few sunflower seeds. Mmm.

Delicious, and I am not just saying that because I have five more pounds of beets to eat.

I really mean it.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love that little Michael's face. He couldn't be cuter. Everytime I see that little face, it makes me think of how much I love his daddy. And makes me wish I lived next door to him so we could play in the dirt pile toghether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheal's dirt pile is two yards long and one foot wide. It is right up against his house. It is filled with the sifted fine dirt of the prairie. The space is well-maintained by him. There are a few cups there, some digging tools, a bit of tumble weed under the porch, and a few long grasses that grow right up against the corner of the porch. He plays around the yard, but always goes back to his dirt pile. To fill it with purchased sand and to build up side on it, would ruin it for him. He prefers natural.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.