Sunday, February 2, 2014

Skating

"If they have purple laces, I will skate more often." says David.
We swapped out the new laces for the rental laces and the deal was sealed.
When we moved to the Shuswap from Florida, I purchased David a pair of ice skates, ice guards, a hockey stick, and a hockey helmet. I figured that investment made him Canadian.

We went to the open public skate. Neither of us were confident on our skates. In one hour we made it half-way around the ice rink, clinging to the boards between falls.

The announcement came on that it was time to leave. Neither of us could stay on our feet taking the shortest route to the change rooms. Two volunteers came out and skated us across holding us up.

I haven't been highly motivated to try skating since. But here I am, almost five years later, and I can see another investment is in store. This time, however, besides new skates that will fit David, I realize I must also make the investment of learning to skate and taking time to skate with him.

We have our schedule set. Sundays from 2:15-3:45 is open public skating at the local rink.

Oh, and the most important news. This time, in 40 minutes, David made five laps of the rink and made it across the centre to the locker room without assistance from the volunteers. Bravo David!

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure that any of the other cousins skate, David. I can't think of any of them who do. I know the Jarvis kids are in a swim club. I just learned Duncan is in a fencing club. I know Alex lifts weights in a gym. I have seen the Dalton and Ceilidh do martial arts. Naomi does horse back riding.

    And of course there is one thing that everyone who wants to go onto the dock at the Shuswap has to do. That is, wear a life jacket or demonstrate that they can swim right around the dock.

    Sports are fun -- tell me more about skating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went skating with Dawn today after school. She teaches sports. After we went to Tim Hortons. I got a double chocolate donut. I was going to swim with my mom after that, but we forgot to bring my bathing suit.

    My mom said, "Do you want to just go in the pool in your birthday suit?" I thought she was serious. I said, "Do they let you do that here?" She thought probably not.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.