Sunday, March 22, 2015

Reviews of A View from the Bridge

 Increasingly intense …
Mark Strong, centre, 

in A View from the Bridge
 at Wyndham’s theatre.
 Photograph: Tristram Kenton
I have been waiting for this National Theatre Production.

Probably I wait for them all.

Thursday, though, is Arthur Miller's A View from the Bridge.

I am exhausted after reading the reviews.

Sometimes I think, can I take another moment of darkness.

However, I think, better to be in the middle of the darkness of a fiction than the darkness of trouble in real life.

So of course, I am going to move heaven and earth to see that I get to this viewing.  I always remember Rebecca saying that she visited a friend who lives in London.  She was surprised that both she and her friend had seen the same sets of plays -- the woman in London had tickets to the theatre, and Rebecca saw them in Victoria through HD Live.

So ...

Some reviews for you.

Here is a Lyn Gardner's five star Review from the Guardian.

Michael Billington writes a review a couple of months later, also in the Guardian.

I might have to brush up on the elements of Greek tragedy before I go on Thursday.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. looks heavy... as heavy as Medea.... but i think i am still going to take the kids (and Katie!)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you in this way, Rebecca. Always wondering what is appropriate for kids. I was hesitant about Medea as well, but after it was over I thought, "Mmmm, this would have been fine and a shame to habe missed it .

    On the other hand, I noticed that for "John" there was an audience warning -- no one under 18. And yes they were right. Not the show for kids.

    Now I go out to look at some of the advertising for A View from the Bridge:

    A View from the Bridge
    By Arthur Miller

    ★★★★★ 'One of the great theatrical productions of the decade. See it' The Times

    ★★★★★ 'Ivo van Hove reinvents Arthur Miller - it’s like watching a runaway train hurtle towards you' Guardian

    ★★★★★ 'Pure, primal, colossal - Strong’s stupendous Eddie is a force of nature' Time Out

    Don’t miss a stellar cast led by Mark Strong (The Imitation Game; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy) in the Young Vic’s ‘magnetic, electrifying, astonishingly bold’ (Evening Standard) production – now nominated for 7 Olivier Awards.

    The great Arthur Miller confronts the American dream in this dark and passionate tale.

    I can hardly wait to hear what your kids say. And I never know who your kids are. Probably some iteration of Duncan and his friends, fencing friends or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.