Sunday, May 24, 2015

I like to sing


Today Catherine sent me 3 pictures of the kids in Primary.  Here is her text:
The pictures are notfor blogging but just to show you the wonderful faces of the children I get to share music time with in Primary each week. Learned everything I know about music time from you. Today got to sing with these kids while we waved a flag and sang happy birthday in French , Moldovan, and Spanish. How lucky am I.
It is OK with me if I don't see their faces.  It is a lot of work to o around and get people's permission to have their faces up on the blog.   I do "get" her thrill of singing with children and why she would want to include it as an instance of what makes adults happy.

Baby Alice from next door laid on my bed with me today, along with her dad. They were delivering their left over crepes from breakfast. Richard and I laid there and talked. She spontaneously sang Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star as she played. I knew what she was singing from the music. Her words are still a blend of any sounds she desires to put on those notes. but she was in tune and had good rhythm.  I told Richard that laying there and listening to her might be the best part of my day, though there was still day to come.

Tonight I am still thinking about that music. One of my failed New Year's Resolutions was "learn the lyrics of a new song every day". I worked hard at that, and would sometimes take a copy of new lyrics off of a google search and have them in my pocket. I would hum and sing while I was in the car, or when taking my morning walks and I would refer to my pages of lyrics printed from the internet.

I am not going to call that resolution completely failed, for I still pick up on it and try to learn new lyrics in some days. The latest set I have been working on are from "This Train Is Bound for Glory", since having a bag full of train songs often serves me well with little children who like trains.

Guess which line I keep forgetting:
This train is bound for glory, this train.
This train is bound for glory, this train.
This train is bound for glory
Don't carry nothin' but the righteous and the holy
This train is bound for glory, this train.
Poor little Alice.

She is going to have to learn that hard line ... as soon as I learn it.

Arta
Honouring Arta's 75th: Third Quarter Quell, Day 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.