Saturday, October 24, 2015

My Reading List

Rebecca has plenty of books around -- on the coffee table, the side tables, on the table where we eat and work, and shelves of books stacked 2 and 3 deep in her office.  For me it is pick up a book and I have a sudden interest.  So more than one book has been opened and started and some even finished.

The Inconenient Indian: a curious accunt of Native people of North America by Thomas King was also on my reading list when I took the film course about the Western.  The book didn't come in, so was deleted from the course, but I was left with a lingering desire to read it.

Rebecca also put The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi into my hands, telling me that she also has the movie.  So I traded off the book above and Persepolis, reading one and then the other until both gave been finished and a couple of other books picked up along the way.

"I am going to read some boring academic book.  I want to see if I can follow a few paragraphs," I told Rebecca. And then I was trapped by one and had read pages before I put it down.  Indigeneity and Legal Pluralism in India: Claims, Histories, Meanings by Pooja Parma.  I turned back the front cover of Surviving in Different Worlds: Transfeerring Inuit Traditions from Elders to Youth edited by Jarich Oosten and Frederic Laugrand.

I haven't read for months so picking up a book and opening the covers feels good.  And when I am trapped between the pages, that feels even better.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.