Friday, April 29, 2016

Hamlet, Review

"Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well."
The BWW review uses the word electrifying when reviewing Stratford's Hamlet.

Kelvin and I saw the  HD Encore last night.

Kelvin said that he wished he had brushed up on the play.

I saw it twice last fall, the version with Benedict Cumberbatch.  Now Jonathan Goad, a Canadian actor, starred in the role of Hamlet.

There were highlights in the play.  One of them was the fushia tights and the heeled shoes of the play-within-the-play king.  I couldn't keep my eyes off of those legs.

Ophelia was lovely; Gertrude played with depth.

The solioquys seemed to be changed.  I think it is the body language that is added that brings a different meaning to the words.  Old, yet new.

I love the interaction with the audience.  And for the first time, while watching Hamlet, I found myself laughing with delight over how delicious some of the lines were.

When the play ended, I too was saying, "Goodnight, sweet Prince."

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.