Thursday, April 21, 2016

Faith in God Award

While unpacking pictures I came across a photo of Richard in Grade IX receiving a trophy.  I just put it in the garbage, but while we were eating supper last night, I thought better of my choice to dispose of it, and retrieved it, taking it outside to the picnic table and showing the 4 year old and the 2 year old a picture of their daddy.

Michael wanted to know if Richard still had that prize.  Richard said yes and ran to his Box of Treasures, bringing out two zip lock bags:  one full of trophies; one full of medals.

The children touched them all, turning them over one by one.  I told Richard to save them even longer, and that perhaps when he dies, his daughters will take them and wear them as jewellry.  He rolled his eyes and continued to read from each of them, naming the tournament, the place and whether this was a first, second or third prize.

He pushed one across the table to me.  It was a gold medal and said "Faith in God".  I knew he must have received this one at church.  I turned it over and on the back was some masking tape.  Inked into the masking tape were these words: "perhaps, but it doesn't feel like it".

I have looked all over the internet for the image of the medal and finding none, and only by popular demand, if someone should ask, I will have him bring out his trophies and medals again.  Please say if you want to see the front or the back of the medal.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. i want to see from AND back!!!! i never in my life received such a medal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post Arta.

    I have been thinking a lot about faith lately.

    My faith right now is focused on reconciliation. On trying to build meaningful relationships based on trust.

    For me faith is the thing that moves you to action when you are facing a goal that seems too enormous to reach.

    For me that action last night was writing a letter to the youth of Attawapiskat to tell them I am thinking of them, and tell them the things that keep me hopeful. A letter about my connections to land and water.

    Had a conversation with my kids about the youth in Attawapiskat and what we can do when we want to make a difference, but don't know what meaningful thing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary,

      I have some questions about the letter you wrote. Did you write and send it?

      If so, any chance you would post it on the blog for all of us to see?

      Delete
  3. I haven't sent it yet. I'll take a copy and send it to you. Along with my letter, Xavier will send some pokemon cards for the younger kids in the community. Rhiannon has a doll she wants to send. Naomi is still trying to decide. She might write a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charise wanted to get stamps. I asked her why. She said she was going to write a letter to the Attawapiskat people. We walked all over the mall to find the post office. Neither Charise nor I were going to quit, since we had something important that she wanted to do and we needed stamps.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.