Monday, January 16, 2017

Twins in a Hammock

I am demonstrating with a Kleenex
which is not exactly square, but will do.
Every parent has a bag of tricks to entertain their children with.

Often this is done with minimal equipment.

 I will always remember Doral told me that with just few rocks he could entertain a whole Scout troop playing the game of Duck on a Rock.
After the first twin is rolled, you must hold it in place,
and then roll the second twin, holding them both in place
while you take the underside of the blanket on which
the twins are laying and pull it to the left,
making sure the twins don't roll off of the blanket

A game he taught me when I was very young is Twins in a Hammock.

I can remember learning how to do this in church.

I can still see the worn red cushioned pew and the back of the bench in front of me, scratches dug into that bench – some child before me who had carved their name into it.

 I can remember learning how to do this in church.

Here they are, ready to swing, perhaps
to the tune of Rock-a-bye, Baby.
I can still see the worn red cushioned pew and the back of the bench in front of me, scratches dug into that bench – some child before me who had carved their name into it.

To entertain me, his linen handkerchief was laid out flat on his knee, then folded into a triangle.

The twins were rolled from either end to the middle.

Then the under side of the handkerchief was pulled out and twins could be rocked.

It took me a long time to master this talent.

Between these church benches is also where I learned the difference between men’s and women’s handkerchiefs.
Can you tell which twin is wanting
to be burped?

My mother’s hankie was smaller and lace trimmed with a tiny pink rosette in one corner.

Arta







2 comments:

  1. I remember making twins in a blanket many times. I did it with my own children also. But I never did have a lacey handkerchief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the handkerchieves that were trimmed with lace went out in our mother's generation. Men's handkerchieves have lasted a little longer. One Christmas I found them in boxed sets at Winners. Joaquim was the only person I could think of who was using them, still.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.