Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Boys and Blackberries

Bonnie, David and Owen left the house to pick blackberries. I was to find out how to wash blackberries. I didn’t mind my task. I had no idea how Bonnie was going to get the boys to pick blackberries, given the ones they were going for are the ones on my hill, planted years ago from 3 pieces Glen brought over from the original patch by the original house. These are the thorniest blackberries in the world.

Even bears don’t want to go into the patch.

Bonnie, Owen and David came back with about 4 cups of blackberries. David and Owen may have picked 5 each. I couldn’t see any visible wounds on Bonnie.

Apparently blackberries are not to be sprayed but dipped. Put them in a colander and submerge them gently into a larger bowl of water. To get the bugs out of the berries dissolve 2 tablespoon to ¼ cup of salt in the water. Who knew? We dried the berries on some paper toweling and divided up the very last of the ice cream left from the summer. Just enough to make 2/3 of a bowl of ice cream each and then we topped the bowl up with those blackberries. No sugar. There was enough sweetness in the ice cream and in the berries for me to have called my bowl ambrosia.

We added extra berries as the contents of the dishes went down.

What is there to say except that it was a perfect moment together.


1 comment:

  1. I have never washed blackberries. I only eat them when they are sweet enough. Usually I am trying to weed them out. Good for the boys!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.